TWO YEARS IN COLORADO
TURNING 55 AND REFLECTING BACK ON SOME OF THE DEFINING MOMENTS THAT HELPED TO SHAPE MY LIFE AND LESSONS I’VE LEARNED ALONG THE WAY.
- DO NOT PLAY THE VICTIM! I realized that because of my circumstances in childhood, I played the victim in most of my relationships. This never serves you, as everyone has had bad things happen. It is completely up to you to grow from that experience, take responsibility, and move forward in strength with a better understanding and awareness, and to never use your past as a crutch! PRACTICE FORGIVENESS!
- LEARN TO MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS! This still is a challenge for me, but I have become so much better as I have grown older, and definitely a bit wiser. Let’s face it, that fairytale story we were all told when we were little, for most just is not reality. Life may not go the way you think it should. However, it is up to you to stay positive, make good choices for yourself, never give up on what you are passionate about, believe in yourself and do your best each and every day. I would have never imagined that I would be 55, still single, with no children and starting over here in Denver, Colorado! But, I wake up choosing happiness, working toward my goals, and I continue to put myself out there. What is the alternative? HAVE UNWAVERING FAITH!
- MANIFEST WHAT YOU WANT INTO YOUR LIFE! For a very long time, all I did was focus on what was wrong in my life. I was always dissatisfied and never felt fulfilled. What I realize, is all that was doing was attracting more negativity. It is truly when you focus on all that you are grateful for in your life, that you attract even more positivity and manifest abundance! Remember, thoughts become things! So choose your thoughts wisely and repeat those positive affirmations daily to reprogram your brain. Focus on what you want instead of what you don’t want and see what happens. PRACTICE GRATITUDE!
- EATING TOO MANY CARBS AND SUGARS KEEP THE WEIGHT ON! This may seem like a very simple thing, but I truly feel it is one of the most difficult things to overcome, especially for women. Overcoming cravings, compulsive and emotional eating is a tremendous task. Once you do gain control however, it is the most empowering feeling in the world. You not only have more self-confidence, but you have new respect for your body, are happier, have more energy, are more productive and everyone around you benefits from it. BE MINDFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE EATING!
- ALLOWING RELATIONSHIPS TO DEFINE WHO YOU ARE! This was probably the hardest lesson I have had to learn. Growing up, I felt if I didn’t have a boyfriend in my life, that there was something wrong with me. I was not complete. It took many failed relationships and then a severe tragedy to shake me into a complete different perspective and awareness. I needed to spend several years on my own to truly be okay and love myself unconditionally. I did the necessary healing and inner work to be able to say that I am finally able to open my heart and be in a loving, mature and healthy relationship. So bring it! LOVE YOURSELF UNCONDITIONALLY!
- DEVELOP MORE COMPASSION! I truly believe that this is one of the key components in life and one of the reasons we are all here. To show each other compassion, love one another, be of service and evolve spiritually. We are all created equal and deserve respect, understanding and love. Realizing that everyone is on a different level of their own human evolution, and that we are all unique, special beings with gifts to offer, is the most beautiful thing you can practice every day. BE KIND!
- ACCEPTANCE! Learning to accept what is instead of struggling with what could or should be, is another huge lesson I have learned through the years. You can’t control other people or certain circumstances, so it is much healthier to accept what you can control and embrace everything you have been blessed with in your life. HONOR YOURSELF!
- LIVE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT! One expression I love is “Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and today is a gift we call THE PRESENT”. By constantly beating yourself up and reliving past mistakes you have made, or continually projecting into the future, it only leaves you with anxiety, frustration and unhappiness. Instead, learn to actually practice living in the present moment. That is actually all we have…right here, right now. So, make the most of it and CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!
Today, try being curious about life! Ask questions, get to know someone new, do a random act of kindness, find your bliss, laugh, sing, dance, be compassionate and understanding, learn something, and be the best version of yourself!
There will always be more lessons to learn, so embrace your journey and STRIVE TO THRIVE!