When I went to the Optimum Health Center in San Diego and also to the We Care Spa in Palm Desert, they educated you pretty thoroughly on the importance of sticking to a more Alkaline based diet. There are so many benefits to eating this way, and it can truly eliminate or completely get rid of certain illnesses and symptoms.
There are 5 main bullet points for following an alkaline diet:
- Check your pH level. The best time is first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. You can get pH strips at most of your local drug or health food stores. The best way to check your pH is in your urine. The reason being is your saliva secretes alkalizing compounds right away when you eat acidic food, so it’s not a good indicator.
- Super Hydration. You want to drink a lot of water, ideally alkaline water with a pH of 7.5 or above. You want to get around half of your body weight in ounces every day. Remember our bodies are made up of 70% water, and we need to replenish that every single day! It might be worth investing in a water system for your home. If you google the benefits, you will be amazed at how truly important proper hydration is!
- Get your Greens. Greens are Life. Greens are Alkalizing. The chlorophyll molecule is very similar to the red blood molecule and it’s easy for the body to transform into healthy blood. Greens are alkalizing and the number one food you can eat to alkalize the system. This means wheatgrass juice, green juices with celery, cucumber, kale, spinach, chard, etc. People just don’t get enough greens, and it is so very important to proper health and wellbeing. First thing in the morning, drink your green drink and then keep it flowing!
- Salts. This might seem contradictory, but the body needs good salts. Not processed table salt, but whole sea salts that haven’t been processed. Real Salt, 4 Salts, Himalayan Pink Salt are just a few.
- Oxygen. When exercising, it’s extremely important to stay in an “Aerobic” place. This means you are using oxygen as your primary energy source. When you push yourself over the Aerobic threshold into the anaerobic area, you are basically building acid in the body and your exercise is ultimately working against you, especially if you want to lose weight and burn fat. What most people don’t realize is that Fat is an acid buffer. The body will use and create fat to buffer metabolic and dietary acids. This is the reason why so many people exercise so hard and still have trouble losing weight. Make sure you slow down, breathe, and really be in the present moment. Ideally, you want to be able to hold a conversation when exercising, but you shouldn’t be able to sing.